Monday 13 May 2013

Bags and brooches

Welcome to my blog!

I've decided to rejoin the blogging world - after an awkward teenage attempt at blogging, I think I may finally have the courage to begin again!  After a degree, and three (seemingly endless) years of studying for my chartered examns, I suddenly find myself with a little of that precious commodity - spare time.  Obviously, the time was right to get a new hobby...so here I am, starting a sewing blog!

I got my machine for Christmas - a little nervously, because I had told everyone I wanted one, without the benefit of actually knowing if I liked sewing - a risky strategy, you appreciate!  Fortunately, it turns out that despite no prior experience, skill, and initially know even knowing how to operate the presser foot on my machine...sewing turns out to be a fun, different hobby that I am loving.  Definitely a relief!

I've found that so many times when I see beautiful handmade brooches, berets or whatever, I've thought 'I could do that'...and then I never have.  So I decided it was time to make that change!  Here's my first little brooch - I thought it was a bit different, and I've worn it with various tops and outfits - either to match, or bring a bit of colour!


My siblings gave me this craft book for Christmas, and that gave me a bit of inspiration as well - it had never occurred to me that I could make bags or anything really, but there was a shopper bag in the book that I really liked, so I went for it as my first project.  It was a brilliant opportunity to do a bit of learning on a project that wasn't too complicated.  Concepts like the 'right side' and the 'wrong side' felt like they were a bit beyond me, haha - but I think I've started to get my head round it!  A few pics below - I've used it so many times now, and it's bravely carried shopping, stillettos, and even library books, so it's been a real success.


I'm hoping that this blog will be a good place to chronicle my sewing journey - I hope you enjoy coming on it with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment