Friday 9 May 2014

Holiday fabric shopping

For the first May bank holiday, we decided we needed a bit of a break.  We were in Northern Ireland a few weeks ago, and had a brilliant time, but I'd struggle to describe it as relaxing - more like whistle-stop!  So we booked a B&B in Devon to have a properly relaxing break this last weekend.

The B&B, Hay Meadow Farm, was absolutely gorgeous - a 12th Century thatched manor house.  Our room was really big, with a comfy bed and lots of quirkly little features - and the food was amazing.  Couldn't recommend it enough.  And the scenery generally was just gorgeous...


On the Saturday afternoon we went into Bude, on the North Cornwall coast.  The plan was to eat chips for tea on the beach - perfect holiday behaviour.  But as we were driving into the town, my eagle-eyes spotted - surprise surprise - a fabric shop!


My husband was quickly convinced to take a quick pitstop here at The Remnant House for me to get my fabric fix.  This shop is amazing!  It's jam packed full of fabric rolls, remnants on hangers, fat quarters...everything you could possibly wish for!  Not only that, but it just seemed to go on forever.  There were four rooms of fabric, fabric and more fabric.

I just couldn't resist picking up a few bargains, so here's the latest additions to my stash...


Tartan - this is a gorgeous fabric.  There wasn't a description on the little card that came with the remnant, but it certainly feels like a wool blend of some sort.  My plan for this is to make an infinity scarf - there was a pattern in the first issue of Love Sewing magazine which I'm going to use.  The remnant was 1m x 1.5m, so I'll have plenty left over - enough for another scarf as a gift or maybe a cushion or bag.


Pink vintage - This is a bit different from the usual florals I buy.  It's still a bit creased in the picture, sorry! It's a soft fabric with a lovely drape, and I can imagine it being a great maxi skirt.  Simplicity 2655 has a longer version which I think would be perfect.


Floral fat quarter - I just noticed this as I was waiting by the till - a bit of an impulse buy, but it's just such a lovely cotton fabric.  I don't know what I'll do with it - just store it up until something takes my fancy, probably!

Signing off with a selfie by the sea...

No comments:

Post a Comment