Thursday 29 January 2015

Learning to knit

My knitting is progressing slowly...but surely :)

I first bought a book with the intention of learning to knit in October, at the Knitting and Stitching Show.  Quadrille had 15% off everything on their stand, and they had this gorgeous 'Learn to Knit, Love to Knit' book.  I loved it, bought it...and then ignored it for a few months!

However, at Christmas (always a good opportunity to learn new things), I asked my mum for knitting needles, and set myself down to learn on the 1st of January.  The Learn to Knit book, as it turns out, is excellent - Kimberlee, at the Knitting Mama, recommends it for learners, and I have found the instructions and the associated pictures really easy to follow - although it was handy to have my mum around as well, for some additional clarification if required.

At the moment, I'm part way through two patterns:
  • A simple baby blanket, from a pattern mum gave me along with my new knitting needles.  I'm knitting it in yellow, as Baby T's gender is a surprise until he/she arrives with us.  This has been a good first pattern, as it's giving me the chance to hone my basic skills on a big block of knitting!  I have made a few faux pas so far, but I'm also hopeful that as it's a blanket, it'll not be too noticeable!

    The one thing I am noticing about knitting, rather than crocheting, is that it does take a lot longer to produce something - there's is a lot more empty space in crocheting, particularly when you're doing treble crochets!  So let's hope the blanket is finished in the four months that I have left before Baby T makes their appearance!


  • Wrist warmers, from the Learn to Knit book.  I got a few of these teal coloured hanks of wool at the Knitting and Stitching show, and thought they would be perfect for the wrist warmers in the book.  This is a simple pattern, and also a much smaller project that the baby blanket, so hopefully will be something I can make up fairly quickly!

I'm really enjoying knitting so far, and I'm looking forward to keeping you updated with my progress!

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good post. Just wonderful. Truly, I am amazed at what informative things you've told us today. Thanks a million for that. Adegan Hot Naomi Cewek Bispak ML

    ReplyDelete